Castel Sismondo, a castle in Rimini, gets its name by the name of the man who commissioned it and even planned. Sigismondo Malatesta is often referred to as designer and creator of the entire building.
The construction work began in March of 1437 and the structure of the fortress was designed as a palace and a fortress at the same time. It had a central core which was located in the rich residence of the Lord, adorned with curtains and tapestries, frescoes and paintings. The works lasted some 15 years.
In origin the castle-palace was provided with a large moat, with a rivelin at the main entrance, sporting the heraldic symbols of the House of Malatesta. The walls were thought to be thick enough to bear the struck from the new artillery pieces appearing in Europe in that period. It also had a series of curtains more robust than normal, from a series of towers quadrangular fitted with huge guns bronze, by drawbridges and by majestic walls shoe that rose from the ditch.
Although originally positioned externally from the city, it has no towers facing that side. All towers are in fact oriented towards city. These towers are square, and once housed a bronze cannon each.
The exterior decorations exhibit majolica tiles placed at the foot of the towers and the image contained in a clypeus portrayed in the painting by Piero della Francesca “Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta in prayer before St. Sigismund “.
Intorno al Palazzo del Signore, originariamente di estendeva una cinta muraria contornata da un fossato: l’intera struttura era particolarmente resistente, grazie anche alla grande esperienza e conoscenza della famiglia Malatesta in tema di artiglieria.Particolarmente visibile è qui l’influenza gotica proveniente dalla vicina Venezia, in quanto sono presenti caratteri gotici nelle iscrizioni “ Sigismondo Malatesta ” ai lati dello stemma. Particularly visible here is the Gothic influence from nearby Venice, as there are inscriptions in Gothic characters “Sigismondo Malatesta” the sides of the shield. Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta died here in 1468.
In 1821 the castle was turned into barracks for the local Carabinieri. Five years later, the external walls were demolished and the moat filled. After a period of decadence, the edifice is now used as seat of exhibitions.